Chihuahuas are sassy, feisty and extremely loyal dogs. This breed is the definition of a big personality in a small package. Chihuahuas require a lot of care, but very little grooming. They don’t need frequent baths, but they do need shampoo that won’t irritate their eyes or dry out their naturally oily skin. When choosing a dog shampoo, you’ll want to consult the list below to be sure that you pick one that is fit for the type of Chihuahua you have.
What is the Best Dog Shampoo for a Chihuahua?
What to Look for in a Top-Rated Chihuahua Shampoo
While there are two varieties of Chihuahua – longhaired and shorthaired – they have similar bathing needs. The smooth-coat Chihuahua only needs an occasional brushing, while longhaired Chihuahuas need weekly brushing. Each type of the breed is delicate because of their size, and they need a gentle shampoo.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free Shipping
How To Redeem This Offer
- Chihuahuas need a gentle shampoo that won’t irritate their big eyes.
- Just because Chihuahuas are small doesn’t mean they don’t get stinky! Consider a shampoo with a delicious scent.
- If your Chihuahua suffers from allergies, choose a dog shampoo that is hypoallergenic.
- If you have a longhaired Chihuahua with a thick coat, look into an shampoo that will offer a deep, yet ultra-gentle cleaning.
You may want to use a massaging glove while bathing your Chihuahua to help break up pockets of built-up shed hair. This condition is known as “packing.” You will give your Chihuahua a more effective bath by using a soft grooming glove or bathing brush, because it will smooth out the coat and remove excess fur.
The 6 Best Dog Shampoos for Chihuahuas
Unlike other dog breeds, it’s okay to use a puppy shampoo when bathing your Chihuahua. Chihuahuas are the smallest AKC recognized breed, making them the most fragile. Their big eyes are vulnerable to irritation, so you want to avoid getting shampoo too close to their face.
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Chihuahua Shampoo:|
Crazy Dog Baby Powder Dog Shampoo
4-Legger Organic Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo
Natural Chemistry Natural Lavender Shampoo For Dogs
Crazy Dog Baby Powder Dog Shampoo
Overall Best Chihuahua Dog Shampoo: Chihuahuas may act mighty, but they have very delicate bodies that need special treatment. Crazy Dog Baby Powder Dog Shampoo is formulated with the needs of puppies and small dogs in mind. The shampoo is ultra-gentle and will effectively clean and moisturize your Chihuahua’s skin and coat. This dog shampoo is great for long and shorthaired Chihuahuas, as the pro-vitamin B5 adds a shine to your dog’s luxurious coat and helps it become more manageable.
- Pros: Crazy Dog Baby Powder Dog Shampoo isn’t overly fragrant, but your Chihuahua will smell baby-fresh for cozy snuggle sessions. The formula is non-stinging in the case that the shampoo gets into your Chihuahuas eyes. Wheat protein in the shampoo will nourish your Chihuahuas fur.
- Cons: If you want a lasting, noticeable scent, this shampoo is not for you.
4-Legger Organic Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo
Best Shampoo for Chihuahuas With Allergies: 4-Legger makes a plethora of holistic dog shampoos. Their hypoallergenic lemongrass and aloe shampoo is perfect for your Chihuahua that suffers from allergies. The formula is free of any synthetic and artificial chemicals, making it super safe for your special Chihuahua. 4-Legger dog shampoo is certified USDA organic, and it will help sooth dry, itchy or irritated skin. The lemongrass properties in this hypoallergenic dog shampoo are antibacterial and antifungal, and also pest-deterrent. Your Chihuahua will not only be clean with 4-Legger shampoo, but you know they will also be healthy and protected.
- Pros: No synthetic, artificial or harmful chemicals or toxins. Cruelty-free, vegan and gluten free. Manufactured in a USDA approved facility. Sustainably sourced and eco-friendly. Moisturizes your Chihuahuas coat without stripping it of natural oils. Smells fantastic!
- Cons: Can possibly irritate your Chihuahua’s eyes if the shampoo comes in contact with them.
Best Shampoo for Chihuahuas With Dry Skin: Although it’s not common for Chihuahuas to have dry skin, it’s definitely possible. They can suffer from irritated skin and hot spots like any dog can. PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Skin & Coat Essentials Purifying Medicated Dog Shampoo is pH balanced to exfoliate skin that is inflamed or irritated from yeast, bacterial and fungal infections. The aloe and oatmeal in this dog shampoo will soothe skin and also prevent further inflammation. The rooibos tea extract helps irritation-prone skin and works as a skin antioxidant.
- Pros: There are no dyes, parabens or artificial fragrances in this shampoo. The soap-free blend with vitamin E, olive oil and glycerin will help moisturize and protect your Chihuahua’s dry skin.
- Cons: Not meant for dogs with dandruff.
3 More Top-Rated Dog Shampoos for Chihuahuas
Natural Chemistry Natural Lavender Shampoo for Dogs
Bath time can be incredibly stressful for Chihuahuas. Lavender is known for its calming properties, which benefit both dogs and humans. Natural Chemistry Lavender Shampoo will help relax your Chihuahua during bath time. The mild ingredients mixed with lavender will gently cleanse and soothe your dog, creating a relaxing effect. The pH balanced shampoo is paraben free and great for Chihuahuas of any age. Natural Chemistry Lavender shampoo is a therapeutic solution for your anxiety-ridden dog during bath time.
Another calming shampoo for your Chihuahua is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint formula. This shampoo is made from essential oils and botanical extracts, giving your dog a luxurious spa-like experience while relaxing them. Buddy Wash provides a rich lather, which is great for longhaired Chihuahuas, and the soothing scent will leave them smelling fresh. The botanical extracts include rosemary, sage, aloe vera, green tea and chamomile to ensure a healthy, therapeutic bath.
A gentle, soap-free shampoo that will leave your Chihuahua smelling of peppermint is Earthbath Eucalyptus & Peppermint formula. The shampoo is all-natural, making is perfect for your delicate little Chihuahua. It will nourish your dog’s lovely coat without causing dryness or irritation. If your Chihuahua has suffered from flea bites or dermatitis, Earthbath shampoo will help cool and soothe the skin. The oils in this shampoo are fragrant but won’t wash away any flea and tick topical treatment.
8 Tips for Bathing a Chihuahua
Bath time can easily be the most stressful event for a Chihuahua. Although this breed is easy to bathe because of their small stature, Chihuahuas aren’t fond of water. They get nervous and cold easily, which means you need to take extra precaution when bathing them.
- Before starting your Chihuahua’s bath, put a towel in your dryer to warm it up. Your Chihuahua is sure to be chilly after bath time, and you will want to reward them with a warm snuggle.
- Brush your Chihuahua with a baby brush before the bath to remove any areas of “packing.”
- Use warm water in the bath. Hot water can be harmful, but Chihuahuas get cold easily, so you want a temperature in the middle.
- Use just a small amount of shampoo. Start with a dime-sized amount and use more as needed.
- Don’t wash your Chihuahua’s face with shampoo. Use a soft sponge or damp cloth to clean around their face to avoid getting shampoo in their big eyes.
- Remember to wash their paws and tail, and thoroughly rinse all of the shampoo out.
- Use positive reinforcement when bathing your Chihuahua. If they are food motivated, reward them with treats and praise throughout the bath.
- Instead of using a bath tub, try using the kitchen or bathroom sink for their bath instead. It will be easier on your back, and your Chihuahua won’t be so overwhelmed by the loud faucet and massive size of the bath tub.
Fun Facts About Chihuahuas
- The origin of the Chihuahua is still a mystery. It is known, however, that they come Mexico, and they came into existence upwards of one thousand years ago!
- Chihuahuas were treasured by the Aztec civilization and integrated into their culture as respected animals.
- Although the Chihuahua existed for several centuries beforehand, the first Chihuahua wasn’t registered with the AKC until 1908. Chihuahuas became popular in the 1950s.
How often should I bathe my Chihuahua? – Chihuahuas have delicate skin that can easily dry out. You should only bathe your Chihuahua every 6-8 weeks. Of course, Chihuahuas are known to roll in icky things like bugs and poo, in which case they will need an extra bath. Longhaired Chihuahuas should also have a weekly brushing session to avoid tangles and mats in their beautiful fur.
How can I make my Chihuahua smell better? – Luckily Chihuahuas aren’t the smelliest of dogs, unless they decide to roll around in something less than desirable. There are several fragrant dog shampoos on the market to help your Chihuahua smell wonderful, and you can use deodorizing dry shampoo or sprays between baths. If you find your Chihuahua is still stinky despite a bath or changing their shampoo, seek veterinary attention. An intense smell coming from your dog can potentially be a serious health problem.